Public Law 106-310 - Title I October 17, 2000
AUTISM STATISTICS, SURVEILLANCE,
RESEARCH AND EPIDEMIOLOGY ACT (ASSURE)
Prime Sponsor: Mr. Christopher H. Smith (NJ)
H.R. 274 Incorporated as Title I of P.L. 106-310
Signed by the President on October 17, 2000
SUMMARY OF MAIN PROVISIONS
Autism Statistics, Surveillance, Research, and Epidemiology Act (as incorporated in Title I, of the Child Health Act of 2000, (P.L. 106-310))
- Authorizes grants and contracts for the collection, analysis, and reporting of data on autism and pervasive developmental disabilities.
- Mandates establishment of three to five regional centers of excellence in autism and pervasive developmental disabilities epidemiology to collect and analyze information, to be established and operated through grants or cooperative agreements.
- Requires that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention serve as the coordinating agency for autism and pervasive developmental disabilities surveillance through the establishment of a clearinghouse for data generated from the monitoring programs created by this Act.
- Mandates establishment of an Advisory Committee for Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disabilities Epidemiology Research.
- Authorizes appropriations.